Whenever I travel somewhere new, I find myself searching for lists of free & cheap things to do in the city I’m in. So, I figured it’d be helpful to have a similar list for Denver visitors to refer to when coming to our city.
Listed below are just a few of my favorite frugal things to do around here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Grab a Groupon for a brewery or 2 + restaurants!
- People watch and window shop on 16th Street. You can even take the free Mall Ride if you don’t feel like walking!
- Rent a B-cycle or Lime/Bird/Razor/Lyft electric scooter to get around the city
- Have a picnic or simply hang out at a park – City Park, Wash Park and Cheesman are some of the most popular!
- Check out City Park Jazz every Sunday night during the summer in City Park!
- Ride bikes, walk, or run along the Cherry Creek Trail, stretching from northern downtown Denver to the southern areas of Denver and beyond
- Wander around REI – right off the Cherry Creek Trail!
- Walk, bike or run around Sloan’s Lake, where you can also fish or go boating
- Sip some coffee while people watching at one of many hip coffee shops in Denver ~ St. Mark’s, Thump, and Fluid are some favorites!
- Book lovers – find some good reads at the Tattered Cover Book Store downtown!
- Tour the U.S. Mint for free Monday – Thursday
- Tube down the South Platte during the summer
- Window shop in Denver’s premier Cherry Creek Shopping Center
- Go bar hopping downtown ~ start at 1-UP if you’re into classic arcade games!
- Check Front Porch’s Name Night Calendar to see if your name is on the list to drink for free all night!
- Go to one of Denver’s restaurant happy hours! [frugalandfree post to come!]
- Visit Union Station and grab a bite to eat or a drink to sip while people watching or reading a book
- Go to the Santa Fe Art Walk every First Friday of the month. While you’re there, check out Denver Open Media for free food and entertainment starting @ 6!
- Peruse the Clyfford Still Museum for free on one of the listed free days on their website
- Every first Saturday of the month, get into the Denver Art Museum for free!
- Learn about Denver’s art history at the Golden Triangle free walking tours during the summer
- Check out Denver’s unique street art in the city’s hippest area, RiNo!
- Find yourself exactly 1 mile high on the 13th step of the Capitol building in Civic Center Park. While you’re here, take a tour of the Capitol for free Monday-Friday
- Go to Tennyson Street, where you’ll find galleries, popular restaurants, unique shops and the Denver Cat Company!
- Head into the Highlands – the northern part of Denver – where you’re guaranteed great views of the city at Linger & Avanti (catch their happy hours for better prices!)
- Catch the sunset from the top of downtown Denver’s highest open rooftop bar, 54thirty (the drinks aren’t cheap but the views are priceless)
- Cheer on the Rockies at Coors Field or the Avs and Nuggets at the Pepsi Center – you can usually find good deals for these!
- Walk around the University of Denver’s campus & support the DU Pioneers hockey team at one of their games
- Watch a rugby game in “Rugby Town USA,” Glendale!
- Take the light rail to your destinations!
- Grab 3 brews & keep the locally decorated glass at Keep the Glass Night every Tuesday night at Our Mutual Friend Brewery in RiNo
- Wander away from the city and into Golden to go on the free tour at Coors Brewery. Sip 3 free brews after the tour!
- While in Golden, go hiking on one of the several trails, including Chimney Gulch, North Table, and Mount Galbraith Park
- Keep wandering away from the city and out to the mountains, where more hiking trails, like challenging 14ers, await!
- & most importantly, simply enjoy Colorado’s beautiful blue skies & sunny weather!
I hope this list helps you enjoy your Denver adventures even more!
frugal & free,