Before quarantine, I had never heard of egg in the basket.
But when I saw someone post about it on their Instagram, I knew I had to try it.
I’m one of those people who love overeasy eggs. Big fan of the runny yolks.
I think it’s because I love all things saucy and the yolk is just an extra sauce to smear into whatever meal I’m having with the egg.
So, when I heard about egg in the basket – literally an overeasy egg INSIDE a piece of toast – I was so excited to give it a try.
However, I knew that just an egg and some bread wasn’t going to be satisfactory to me.
Throughout quarantine, I had been spending some of my extra time mastering avocado toast. So I thought, OH. What a perfect combination. Hence, Egg in an Avo Basket!
Here’s what you’ll need to give this a go:
- 1 slice of bread (I use whole grain)
- 1/2 of an avocado (split the other half with your s/o or store in the fridge for later)
- 1 egg
- Cooking Spray (or butter)
- Cheese of choice (optional)
- Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning (not optional)
- Hot sauce (your choice but I highly recommend Kroger’s Private Selection Jalapeno Tomatillo or Trader Joe’s Green Dragon)
Gather the above ingredients & follow these steps:
- Spray cooking spray (or melt butter) on a skillet over low-medium heat
- Cut a large hole into your slice of bread using any circular thing you have (I use the top of a wine glass). Make sure you don’t break the edges of your bread!
- Place the bread – and the hole that you cut out (you’ll want to use this to scoop up the runny yolk or as a dessert later – you’ll see!) – on the skillet and let toast for ~1 minute
- Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half and start mashing with a spoon or fork
- Crack the egg in a bowl and pour into the hole in the bread. Sprinkle your cheese (if you want it) over the egg so that it melts into it
- Wait until the egg starts turning white (it’ll happen quickly!) before *confidently & carefully* flipping the bread onto its other side. Do the same for the hole cut out
- Give the bread and egg a few more seconds to simmer before using a spatula to scoop off the skillet and onto a plate
- Spread mashed avocado on top of the bread and egg
- Top with hot sauce and Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning
- Use the hole cutout to scoop up the runny egg OR top with butter and cranberry sauce or jelly for a dessert
Grab a fork (you’ll need it if you have a runny yolk!) and enjoy!
* Note: you can cook the egg as much or as little as you’d like – I just prefer a runny yolk! *
Ever made egg in the basket?
Write what you thought in the comments below!
frugal & free,