Mac & cheese.
Who doesn’t love it?
While it is delicious, it isn’t always the healthiest, unfortunately.
But Matthew & I were craving it the other day and decided to try a healthy take of it.
Here’s what we used (FYI this made us like 4 meals – yay leftovers!):
- A box of Chickpea Pasta (we used Banza)
- A handful of Spinach
- A handful of Chopped Broccoli (frozen is fine!)
- Tofu (finally found some at Sprouts!! Who knew everyone would be hoarding tofu during this quarantine?!)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups of Cheese (we used shredded cheddar)
- 1/4 of an onion (1/4 is def an estimate)
- Garlic Powder
- Hot Sauce (optional, but highly recommended)
- BBQ Sauce (optional, but highly recommended)
- Tomatoes (also optional, but def add these)
& here’s how we did it:
- Cook the chickpea pasta according to box instructions
- Drain tofu and cut into small squares and place in pan over medium heat
- Add broccoli, garlic powder, chopped up onion, BBQ sauce, and hot sauce to pan as the tofu cooks
- After about ~10 minutes, stir cheese and Greek yogurt into tofu mix
- Once the pasta is done, drain and mix into the tofu mix
- Separate pasta into bowls and enjoy with any additional toppings – I added canned diced tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and some extra hot sauce to mine!
^ mine is on the left (check out those tomatoes ❤) & Matthew’s is on the right (no tomatoes bleh)
This mac was actually extremely creamy, thanks to the Greek yogurt and quite possibly just as good as regular mac and cheese…
Give it a try and let me know if you agree in the comments below!
frugal & free