I’m not going to lie…I was missing my go-to fast-food Mexican spots like Illegal Pete’s (my fav) and Chipotle (Matthew’s fav) when whole quarantine started.
But when I realized that I can make my own healthy versions of my favorite burrito bowls, I wasn’t missing them so much anymore.
I love burrito bowls because you can make them your own with all of your favorite ingredients.
Here’s my version of a super easy healthy veggie burrito bowl:
- Frozen cauliflower rice
- Canned Black Beans
- 1/4 of an Onion
- Fajita veggies (frozen from the store or create your own!)
- A handful of Spinach
- Protein of choice (I used Quorn Meatless Steak-Style Strips)
- Cheese of choice (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
& here’s how easy it is to make:
- Chop up the onion and start grilling the pieces in a pan over medium heat
- Add the fajita veggies, Quorn steak strips, cauliflower rice, and black beans
- Simmer and mix for a few minutes
- Add spinach to a bowl
- Top the spinach with your steaming burrito mixture
- Enjoy with cheese & an avocado on top!
I love using chips as my fork to scoop up my burrito bowl (highly recommend the Late July Chia & Quinoa Chips or the Veggie & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips from Trader Joe’s). Then, I add salsa and as much spice as I like to enjoy with it – it’s like nachos with the perfect amount of deliciousness on each bite!
What do you like to put in your burrito bowls?
Let me know in the comments below!
frugal & free,