I have always loved banana bread.
While in college, I’d make it all the time – mainly because I always bought too many bananas and they went bad so quickly.
But that’s the beauty of banana bread – it allows you to make something so delicious out of something thought to have gone ‘bad.’
…which is kinda what we’re trying to do with this quarantine situation right? Trying to make the best of the worst? Trying to find the opportunity in the chaos? Trying to make banana bread out of bad bananas?
Anyway, I love banana bread and I’m going to share you on this recipe I used to make it a bit healthier.
Here’s what I used
(FYI I don’t have a bread pan…so mine came out super thin, but this would probably make you about 6 slices of regular banana bread):
- 2 large, mashed bananas (hint: the spottier the banana, the sweeter!)
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup – I did a mix of both)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour (your choice on the type)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (the amount is obviously your call)
Here’s how I did it:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a bread pan with cooking spray
- Melt the butter in a bowl
- Mix in the mashed banana and honey (or maple syrup)
- Whisk in the egg, vanilla & cinnamon
- Stir in the flour until everything is mixed together well
- Transfer the batter to the prepped baking pan & heat in oven for ~25 minutes
- Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean
- Let cool slightly and enjoy warm!
My banana bread was more like a banana bread brownie bar because I didn’t have a bread pan. BUT it was delicious nonetheless!
What’s your favorite type of banana bread?
Let me know in the comments below.
frugal & free,