The first time I had seitan was at one of Denver’s best, most hip, vegetarian restaurants (in my opinion), City, O’ City .
I wasn’t a vegetarian at the time – I don’t even know if I’m truly one now, but I will say that I have no had any meat since quarantine started and I feel so good about it.
It has been especially fun trying new veggie recipes, including this one: Seitan Nuggets!
I credit Matthew for this entire meal, because he’s the one who wanted to try it and he’s also the one who whipped it up!
Here’s what he used:
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten (we found this at Safeway for ~$7.50 – we still have about half the bag left)
- A splash of soy sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Sauce of choice (we used hot sauce)
& here’s how he did it:
- Mix all the ingredients (except the sauce) together with a spoon
- Once well-mixed, knead the dough-like substance with your hands
- Separate into 2 loaves (large pieces)
- Boil loaves in a pot of vegetable broth for ~45 minutes
- Remove loaves from pot and cut into nugget-sized pieces
- Fry nuggets on pan over high heat until crispy
- Toss nuggets in sauce of choice for 1 minute
- Enjoy with a dipping sauce of choice (I made my own Greek Yogurt Mustard Sauce introduced in my Roasted Carrots Quarantine Eats post, along with Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce)
Don’t they kinda look like Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets???
These were so delicious and we will 100% be making them again.
Give them a try & let me know what you think in the comments below!
frugal & free,