Let’s talk about broccoli.
I hated it when I was a kid (what kid doesn’t?), but I love it now.
Especially when you can do fun things with it, like fry it up into a pancake!
These Broccoli Fritters (aka green pancakes) were surprisingly flavorful AND fairly healthy. You can enjoy these as a snack, lunch, dinner side, whatever!
Here’s what I used to make 4 of these “green pancakes”:
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (I used frozen chopped broccoli)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour (you can probs use any type of flour here)
- 1/4 cup choice of cheese (I used a tiny bit of mozzarella & then some Nutritional Yeast – cheddar would be tasty too!)
- Spices of choice (I used 1 tsp cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder)
& here’s how I made them:
- Whisk the egg in a bowl
- Mix in the chopped broccoli. Then add & mix in the flour, cheese and spices until it becomes a thicker, well-mixed substance
- Form 4 pancake shapes on a pan over medium-high heat (use a spoon to scoop the mixture onto the pan)
- Fry on one side until crispy. Then, flip over and fry on the other side (this took me ~5 minutes for both sides to get crispy)
- Remove from pan and enjoy with sauce of choice (I made my own honey mustard sauce out of Greek Yogurt, Garlic Aioli Mustard from TJs, honey & paprika and it was delicious!)
Overall, I was very impressed with these Broccoli Fritters!
Next time, I’ll probably add more spice and fry them a bit longer to make them extra crispy.
Give them a try & let me know what you think in the comments below.
frugal & free,